Classique - The Cutest Blog on the Block

Monday, April 23, 2012

Our Singaporean Adventures (Part 2)

You can't go half way across the world to a new country and not try some local cuisine. As much as I believe this I was a little nervous to go to dinner with Jeff's colleagues as I am not really a big seafood fan.
Hey, don't judge! I grew up in Kansas. . . I'm a steak and potatoes kind of girl :) However, I can remember countless times as a child my father (and even my mother) telling me "Just try it. You might actually like it!" Most of the time I thought they were crazy because why would anyone in their right mind like ______ (insert name of any new food they were trying to get me to taste). Well of course if my dad  were around today I'm sure I would hear at least one "I told you so" smart @ss comment from him. . . . because he was right. I may not love seafood, but I have definitely tried a lot of new foods that aren't too bad and I would eat again if given the chance.

For dinner one night in Singapore Jeff's colleagues took us out to dinner at Jumbo's Seafood, one of the best well-known seafood places there.

The dinner is served family style, so Jeff's coworker ordered for the whole table. For the girl nervous about eating seafood. . . it was not easy sitting there wondering if I was going to like anything that was gonna come to the table! First up were appetizers....
Stir Fried Baby Kai Lan
(Looks like mushy lettuce, but tastes surprisingly delicious!)

Here we are at dinner. You can see the Hong Shao Pai Gu (Pork) appetizer there in front of us. This was also delicious!!! We also had some mini chicken and steak kabobs with peanut sauce (not pictured). I'm not a fan of coconut, but as you can also see in the picture several of the people at dinner were enjoying fresh coconut milk.

Next up. . . the main course, pepper crab.

Followed by chili crab served with some yummy rolls to balance the spice.

Also served was Sotong rolled in Fried Yu Tiao 
(small blended squid in dough).
This was also surprisingly delicious after I got past the fact that I was eating squid! It's actually served with a thick dark sweet sauce for dipping. We also had fried shrimp (not pictured) in a salty egg coating that was really good!

I have to admit that even though I tried the crab I stayed clear of the work! If you've had crab then you know what I'm talking about. I was not super eager to get my hands dirty for food that I wasn't even sure I was going to like. Thankfully my loving husband agreed to play along!
 Watch out for the claw!!! haha

All that work and just this little bite?!?!

It was great food, but what a mess!!! ;-)

Now of course there was dessert!! I would say both desserts are an acquired taste! They weren't terrible, but not something I would rush back to eat again. Let's just say I would rather stick to anything chocolate and ice cream any day! :)
Oo Bi Ber (blended black beans with vanilla ice cream)
Not terrible, but ice cream can make anything better, right?!? :)

I forgot the name of the last one down. It was some kind of yam paste. I didn't really care for this one either. . .plus no ice cream to help it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment